[BAA Comets] [comets-ml] 29P S-W1 Outburst

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Fri May 2 11:46:12 BST 2014

Very nice series of observations, Jean-François. Thank you for your
contributions.

My prediction for the next outburst of 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 1 was for
2014 April 28 so this one looks to have taken place on 2014 May 01. The
uncertainty in my recent predictions I estimated to be 2.5-3.5 days so I
count this as just in the expected range.

A paper analysing 52 outbursts dating back to 2002 has already been
submitted for publication in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical
Association on April 08.

This latest outburst teaches us that the source responsible for this event
(there are at least 4 sources active on the nucleus) has evolved in recent
years. The latest prediction I made is based on the average behaviour of the
comet during the past decade or so. If we compare the time of yesterday's
outburst with the previous one in March, we see that it occurred 59.7+/-0.6
days later by my reckoning. The nominal prediction for the same source would
be 57.7 days, so this one is 2.0+/-0.6 days late: not a great difference but
one that continues a trend showing that Source B (as I call it) is becoming
more complex as the years progress.

The unusual behaviour of this comet is very revealing about the processes
going on beneath the surface of the nucleus of this comet as well as comets
in general. The paper includes a short description of a mechanism to explain
29P's outbursts, which is also applicable to many other comets. 29P is just
the extreme example in that it probably has the slowest rotation rate of any
comet known to date.

Richard Miles
British Astronomical Association