[BAA Comets] Paper on ArXiv today on Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON)

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Wed May 14 11:40:21 BST 2014

Thanks Jeremy for drawing attention to Toni's paper.

He has put a lot of work into this and there is a lot of good stuff there.
The various outbursts are well defined in the lightcurve. Its outburst
behaviour might indeed be characteristic of a relatively slow-rotating
nucleus (a tentative 3-day period having been seen in the data).

Re. Sections 2.2 and 4.4, I do not quite see how the nucleus size can be
accurately determined using Lamy's method which was applied to HST data as
described in:
http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2009/47/aa11462-08.pdf
when the pixel size and PSF in amateur-size instruments (or even the FT) is
so much larger than in the HST.

A delta function is used and extrapolated to subpixel dimensions. Other
functions such as with noise calculations (3.6) are invoked but without
going into any detail. I would like to have seen a worked example and
whether particular software was used to do the analysis.

Also, not sure how 'ADU residual' is obtained for instance and there is no
mention of frame zeropoints so we can see how those numbers are converted to
magnitude.

Taking the 2013 Sep 15 data, the comet is at Delta=2.61 au, r=1.94 au and
Phase Angle = 19.3 deg. A 1.66-km object having an albedo of 0.04 will
exhibit a bare nucleus R magnitude of 22.0. At that time the m2 magnitude of
the comet was about 14.5. So whatever method is used, the extent of the
extrapolation is very large.

Grateful if anyone else can shed light on this.

Thanks,
Richard