[BAA Comets] 2014Q2 Lovejoy tail disturbance

David Reynolds djr.mars2 at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 22 21:21:24 BST 2015

hello Peter

Excellent image, really informative.  Thank you.

I viewed Lovejoy from Kelling Heath (visual) over the weekend and the
last time on Monday night, the latter through much dew and thin cloud.
The comet still looks good.  Monday's sky was not good enough to see the
tails but Sunday night was and we could see two tails at ninety degrees
to each other;  first was a fan the second (ion?) was more of a thinner
streak of uniform width.  Lovejoy has certainly been a good value comet
for many months!

Generally speaking the images of comets show different views from what I
see in the eyepiece.//  My view seems to have more fuzz around the core
giving the impression of a larger head.

I would be very interested to see an image of Lovejoy showing the second
tail, if you have one?  Presumably, this requires a 'longer exposure'
(or whatever in digi-speak) to capture the fainter material whilst
'adjusting' to avoid an over exposed core.

cheers
David Reynolds
South Norfolk