[BAA Comets] C/2013 US10 (Catalina) this morning

Andrew Robertson alphacentauri at tesco.net
Fri Dec 4 08:44:29 GMT 2015

You both beat me to it (mind you I did go back to bed for an hour). I got my first visual view this morning and made a sketch through my 12" Mewlon (will post to you separately). I could see it easily in my 4" refractor but have to confess that I couldn't see it in my wide field 8.5 x 50 bins - you have younger eyes than me Nick :-) Mind you that nearby moon and a fairly close Venus wasn't helping. Visually through the 12" I could see a longish thin tail and a very tenuous stubby tail which seemed almost like an extension of the coma. There was a stellar nucleus. Sketched with a 40mm Pentax e/p giving x90 and a 0.7 deg FOV, detail confirmed with 27mm Pan giving x135 and 0.5 deg FOV. I estimated the longer tail to be about 10' long.

Andrew