[BAA Comets] Visual equivalent magnitude of C/2013 US10

Andrew Robertson alphacentauri at tesco.net
Mon Dec 21 11:25:35 GMT 2015

Morning Nick,

Excellent picture as always. Yes, excellent view thanks this morning in the 18" Dobsonian. I've just surfaced. Did a couple of hours on doubles in the evening, a couple of hours sleep then out by 0130 hrs. Observed until 6am. I had a brief look at the comet about 4am or just after but it was too low to see anything other than the main coma. I waited until 5.30am to start sketching when it was much higher and could see two tails, the ion one extending right out of the FOV, the dust one towards the edge of the FOV (21mm Ethos giving x98 and a full 1one deg FOV). I know it was the ion one as I was 50/50 whether the comet filter improved the view on that one but said filter made the dust one disappear completely.

I will scan and forward later, have a hospital appointment at Norwich to get off to shortly (only routine checks).

Andrew