[BAA Comets] ICQ codes

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 10 15:04:02 GMT 2015

Hi Tony,

I did answer but sent my reply to Denis, Jon and Nick rather than to the list which I should have
done. What I said was;

As to the codes for the CMC catalogue (and any other codes) we do need to stay in sync with COBS. If
we have to adjust our ICQ input to you Jonathan after downloading it from COBS that can easily lead
to mistakes. I am using CMC-15 now as that gives slightly better sky coverage so we would need codes
for both CMC-14 and CMC-15. I see from the COBS database that MA, MB and MD are unused so maybe we
can agree with Jure on which to use for what.

With respect to filters - there isn't general agreement it would seem. If you follow the CCD
Astrometry and Photometry procedure on the Project Alcock website and send your FoCAS output to the
Spanish Group then no filter is required. However if you use wish to send observations to the CARA
group (see procedure on website) then a red filter is required (and exposure times need to be 3x
longer than for no filter). For the latter, images can be stacked so shorter exposures are possible
whereas FoCAs cannot handle stacks. Professional astronomers do make use of both the Spanish and
CARA data so one assumes it is what they require.

In addition when using Astrometrica the Aperture Radius in Program Settings/CCD should be set equal
to an actual radius of 5.5 arcsecs (as advised by Richard Miles).

Hope that is of some help.

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com