[BAA Comets] C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy - Disconnection Event

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Fri Jan 9 00:21:53 GMT 2015

Hi all,

I was out tonight at the opening of of Crayford Astro's new observatory
at Sutton-at-Hone near Dartford, Kent. About 70-80 people were there and
many had a good view of the comet in various binoculars and telescopes
only a mile or so from the M25.

It was very claggy in Chelmsford before I left but I took the risk of
leaving a DSLR 1and telescope taking images in the garden when I went
out. By the time I got back it had clouded over completely so I didn't
get a chance to point my main scope at the comet but the DSLR/Megrez did
get some images. Following Tony's alert I've just done a quick stack of
these and the result is here:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2015/2014q2_20140108_2000_ndj.jpg

The tail is very faint in these images but the bright blob at the head
of the disconnection is visible.

Another example of why comets are such interesting things to observe.
You never quite know what you are going to see.