[BAA Comets] C/2014 Q2 ion tail development yesterday

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Sun Jan 11 19:37:58 GMT 2015

The tail of this comet changes dramatically from day-to-day and
hour-to-hour. I've rescaled three images from yesterday taken by myself,
Ian Sharp and Martin Mobberley to show this. You can see the result here:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2015/2014q2_tail_comparison_20150110.jpg

Can I take this opporunity to ask imagers to include field-of-view/scale
and orientation info on their images. Without this very basic
information it is difficult or impossible to compare images taken by
different systems. It amazes me how many of the top imagers don't do
this and leave us to guess. You know who you are...