[BAA Comets] Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 15 14:48:16 GMT 2015

Good afternoon all,

It would appear that this comet is not playing ball as far as equivalency of visual equivalent
magnitudes from CCD images and visual magnitudes are concerned. The magnitude chart on COBS
indicates that these started to diverge when the comet brightened past mag 8 and are now somewhere
between 1.5 and 2 mags different - the visual mags being the brighter.

The same tends to be true for the coma diameter. These are widely spread for both visual and CCD obs
- 10 to 40 arc mins in diameter - with the CCD obs being at the lower end.

I doubt all those who submit observations to COBS are using our method so at least there is some
consistency. Thoughts anyone?

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com