[BAA Comets] Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)

Roger Dymock roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 16 15:19:08 GMT 2015

Good afternoon all,

My maths not being up to Nick's standard I took a different approach.

1) Plot FoCAs mags against apertures using EXCEL.

                                   10x10  20x20  30x30  40x40  50x50  60x60   SNR   SB   COD
COMET         UTC                    +/-    +/-    +/-    +/-    +/-    +/-     N  FWHM  CAT
------------  -------------------  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  ----  ----  ---
C/2014 Q2     14/01/2015 04:03:04   9.65   8.71   8.19   7.82   7.55   7.33  50.5  16.6  G68
C/2014 Q2     14/01/2015 04:03:04*  0.01   0.01   0.02   0.01   0.01   0.01     5   3.0  CMC

The box sizes were translated into their equivalent diameters of apertures of the same area ie;
11.3, 22.6, 33.9, 45.1, 56.4, 67.7 arc secs.

2) Fit a power trend line extending out to the coma diameter I measured using AIP4WIN - 704 arc
secs. The equation of the trend line being y=9.6703x-0.1535. Log and Exponential trend lines were
tried but give magnitudes which are much too bright.

3) Calculate the magnitude for the measured coma diameter using the above equation which turns out
to be 3.5. The visual mags on the COBS data base immediately adjacent to mine are 3.8 so a better
result.

Kphot may not be able to cope with comets of this nature as it gives a coma diameter of only 3.6 arc
mins. I seem to remember exchanging emails with Uwe Pilz on this subject so I should do so again as
I can't remember what the outcome was. The CCD Astrometry and Photometry procedure does not use
kphot calculated coma measurements anyway.

Regards

Roger Dymock
Email: roger.dymock at ntlworld.com
Tel: 023 92647986