[BAA Comets] Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Sat Jan 17 19:54:07 GMT 2015

Roger,

For visual equivalent magnitude estimation of large/bright comets
extrapolation is only needed if you don't have the entire coma in the
field of view. I've just done a quick direct measurement using some
images obtained on Jan 15. These are widefield and so I have the full
coma and plenty of sky to use to estimate the background.

What I did was as follows:

1 - I generated two stacks, one aligned on the comet and the other
aligned on the stars.

2 - I used Astrometrica to measure the stack aligned on stars using
CMC-14 to get the magnitude zero point. This was 23.01 from 720 stars
with a dmag of 0.08.

3 - I then used a median estimator to get the sky background and
stretched the image around this point to show the size of the coma.

4 - Using this as I guide I did aperture photometry on the coma using an
aperture radius of 300 pixels (12.9 arcmin). This is the inner circle in
the image on the left at the link below. This gave a magnitude of 4.1.

You can see a screenshot of this here, IRIS on the left monitor,
Astrometrica on the right:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2015/20150115_magestimate.jpg

COBS shows visual mags are currently around 4.0 so this seems OK.

http://www.cobs.si/images/latest-lightcurve.png

Although I would be the first to admit that it is a hell of a lot more
effort than going out with a pair of binoculars and a star atlas! CCD
mags are only really worth doing for fainter objects I think.

Nick.