[BAA Comets] Tail rays from 2014Q2

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 18 10:18:08 GMT 2015

Hi Peter,

Very nice image indeed.

Yes - a good question - why the multiple weak strands or streamers
comprising the tail of this comet?

Well, Nicolas Biver has just commented on a French comet group that the dust
tail of this comet is almost non-existent as well as being weak in ions. His
radio telescope measurements from IRAM five days ago showed lots of
different molecules but that the comet is very low in CO (~2%). His
interpretation is that the streamers are largely composed of H2O molecules
and ions and that this comet is a veritable ball of water ice.

As to the form of the streamers, the fact that there are lots and that they
persist in time forming long strands suggests that there are multiple
sources on the nucleus, each of which feeds H2O vapour into a strand. If the
nucleus were spinning like a typical cometary nucleus, the individual
strands would have been woven together by its rotation (sometimes this can
create a 'catherine wheel' effect) such that the tail strands would have
been braided together. So my conclusion is that the nucleus is a slow
rotator, say turning every few days.

Can someone analyse the evolution of the strands and come up with a possible
rotation rate / pole orientation?

The comet reaches perihelion in 12 day's time so there is plenty of time for
it to undergo further changes.

Keep up the good work,

Richard Miles