[BAA Comets] Comet 1914IV (NZ)

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 20 00:48:50 GMT 2015

Hello Amar,
This comet  (1914 IV=1914e= C/1914 S1 Campbell) was discovered by Leon Campbell at Harvard College Observatory Arequipia Station Peru on 1914 September 18.24. The comet was visible to the naked eye. An independent discovery was made by C.J.Westland (Christchurch New Zealand) on September 18.47. He was was about to observe the variable star R Doradus when he saw this naked eye comet. Other independent discoveries were made by J.Lunt (Cape Town South Africa), B Thomas(Tasmania) and C.T Haggerty (Las Cruces New Mexico USA). This information is culled from the excellent series Cometography written by Gary Kronk and (now) Maik Mayerand the details of the discovery and subsequent appearance extends to 3 pages.
Regarding the article written by Wayne Orchiston it may be that Rodney Austin in NZ would be able to locate a copy. Let me know if this happens.
Further references are given in Cometography: W.Orchiston,C.J.Westland and J.Lunt, Southern Stars,30(1983Dec),pp 339-45; W.Orchiston and J.K.Skjjellerup.MNASSA,62(2003),p.65
Best wishes
Denis Buczynski
Secretary Comet Section
BAA