[BAA Comets] Comet 17P/Holmes: A marked outburst on January 26

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 28 19:36:38 GMT 2015

Brilliant Nick - I am amazed!

Try measuring also with Astrometrica using 'Background from Aperture' option
and choosing a measuring aperture size that encompasses all of the coma.
That should confirm also.

If the expanding coma is now up to 30 arcsec across then the outburst would
have happened on 2015 January 27.

I need to put a request in for some more 2.0-m imaging however there is no
guarantee I can get them (next scheduled observation is on Jan 30). So it
would be good if observers can follow the development of the coma tonight.

Richard