[BAA Comets] Comet 17P/Holmes: A marked outburst on January 26

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Fri Jan 30 20:03:06 GMT 2015

Here is tonight's deep image of 17P in outburst:

http://www.nickdjames.com/Comets/2015/17p_20150130_1849_ndj.jpg

The coma "diameter" now exceeds 40 arcsec and it is significantly offset
to the east of the bright nuclear condensation. I get a magnitude of
14.7V in a 40 arcsec aperture using UCAC-4 for reference although the
sky is very bright due to the nearby moon.

I have been trying to get images of this comet using the big iTelescope
CDK instrument in New Mexico but it has been cloudy there for the last
few nights. Good to know that Chelmsford beats the weather in New Mexico
when it counts!