[BAA Comets] BAA Observers' Workshop on comets and meteors. Saturday 2015 September 26
ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Jul 7 20:51:44 BST 2015
The following draft announcement will appear in the August Journal and
will be uploaded to the website soon.
It is likely that there will be parallel sessions for the workshop parts
but details are still TBC.
Space is limited so if you wish to attend please register your interest
with the office as soon as possible.
Observers Workshop - Comets and Meteors, 2015 September 26, Burlington
Techniques for the observation of both comets and meteors have been
revolutionised by technology over the past decade. Visual observations
are still crucial since they allow us to compare current activity with
the historical archive but, for various reasons, fewer people are now
involved in visual work. This workshop will cover the ways that modern
technology is used in comet and meteor work and how the results can be
used in scientific analysis.
The topics covered will include:
- Video meteor detection and analysis using the SonataCo suite of tools.
- Extracting science from the European meteor orbit database.
- Options for high definition meteor video work.
- Comet imaging (DSLR and CCD) and analysis, specifically visual
equivalent magnitude extraction.
- Follow-up work for newly discovered objects.
- The Rosetta ground-based campaign for 67P.
We intend to work through real examples so please bring a laptop if you
can. Full details will be provided at a later date via the BAA website
but since space is limited please reserve your place now by contacting
the office (office at britastro.org).
More information about the Comets-disc