[BAA Comets] Report from the European Comet Conference at Ondřejov Observatory

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Jun 23 06:58:12 BST 2015

Morning all,

Recently, Jakub Černý organised a conference on comet observing at the
famous Ondřejov Observatory in the Czech Republic. I attended on behalf
of the Comet Section and Richard Miles was there too.

Jakub has written a summary of the conference here:

http://www.smph.cz/news/Report-from-European-comet-conference---Ond%C5%99ejov-2015

It was a very enjoyable and productive weekend and I came back with lots
of thoughts about how to improve the efficiency of our comet observing
programme and how to increase co-operation with other European groups.
There is a lot that we can learn from each other.

My main focus since I got back has been how to improve the CCD comet
Visual Equivalent Magnitude workflow by implementing some software to do
most of the work automatically. I'm still working on this and haven't
been able to to devote as much time to it as I would like but I should
have more news soon.

If any of you are going to be at the Association's Exhibition in Cardiff
next weekend I hope to see you there. It will be a good opportunity to
discuss some of these topics.