[BAA Comets] Two interesting papers

Richard Miles rmiles at baa.u-net.com
Fri Oct 23 16:26:48 BST 2015

Thanks Jeremy for the heads-up on these.

Comet 15P/Finlay I have included as 1 of 17 comets that I have classed as
exhibiting 'non-fragmenting' strong outbursts.

Although it has supposed to have been quiet for past 128 years or so, it may
very well have had outbursts but these have been missed as the observing
window for each is quite short near perihelion - probably about 3-4 days.
The fact it has produced 2 strong outbursts separated by about 31 days is
indicative of it being generally prone to outburst and so should be
monitored regularly in future.

15P is just coming accessible again in the morning sky (elongation 59
degrees and rising) so it's a good time at the start of its apparition for
observers to add it to their list of targets.

Cheers,
Richard