[BAA Comets] New Comet Section director

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Thu Oct 29 06:44:01 GMT 2015

Following yesterday's 126th BAA AGM at Burlington House, London, I
became the 12th Director of the BAA Comet Section continuing an unbroken
line going back to W.F. Denning, the first Director, who was appointed
in 1891.

I would like to thank Jonathan for the dedication he has shown to the
section as Director. His directorship lasted 25 years so he certainly
deserves a break! This duration is second only to Crommelin's second
directorship, a monumental 32 year stint between 1907 and 1939.
Jonathan's knowledge of matters related to comets is more extensive than
anyone else I know and I am very pleased that he has agreed to stay on
the section committee as visual observations and analysis coordinator.

Becoming the Director of a BAA section carries a great responsibility. I
know that have a very hard act to follow and it will take me a while to
get used to the new role. I will post more of my thoughts on the future
direction of the section shortly but, in the meantime, if you have any
comments then please post them here or email me privately.

We all know that comets are wonderfully unpredictable objects which is
what makes them so fascinating to observe. Thanks to Jonathan I am
taking over a very strong section and I hope to make it stronger still
over the next few years.

Nick James. BAA Comet Section Director.