[BAA Comets] Science from visual observations of 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann: a plea

Shanklin, Jonathan D. jdsh at bas.ac.uk
Sat Dec 10 19:39:30 GMT 2016

There are a few "I" estimates of the comet in the files, and these are mostly immediately after an outburst has commenced, with the comet at DC=8 or 9.  Once the coma becomes diffuse the visual nuclear magnitude is likely to become too dependent on observing conditions to be of much systematic use.  This is one reason why visual nuclear magnitudes are not normally reported, and also why many reported m2 magnitudes are highly discordant.

You might be able to use some combination of the reported visual magnitude, coma diameter and DC to help constrain things, but my opinion is that using visual magnitudes is unlikely to put much of a constraint on the time of outburst.  Of course presence / absence observations do place some constraint.

I think that for the study you are suggesting it would be best to use electronic observations from telescopes in sites with conditions of good seeing and transparency.

Regards,

Jonathan Shanklin