[BAA Comets] Science from visual observationsof 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann: a plea

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 10 20:20:39 GMT 2016

Excellent Jonathan - Thank you for your feedback.

I have trawled thgrough a lot of visual data (e.g. from COBS and some from
the MPC/CB) and was unable to find much additional information, over and
above that gleaned from CCD observations (since 2002 August), to better
define the shape of 29P's complex lightcurve, the time of an outburst, or
indeed identify a new outburst that would otherwise have been missed.

Earlier visual data, prior to 2002, are more useful as there were few CCD
measures in those days and they were mainly Total Magnitude ones.
Photography pre-2002 also helps of course.

The question is, "Can visual observers do better in the future by adopting a
specific methodology for this comet?"

I am very much open to suggestions and have an open mind as to how a visual
observer might do this.

I should add that this is all part of a pre-amble to putting together a
BAA-led observing campaign on 29P due to start in 2017 March. This is a very
good time to get our ducks in line, since the comet will be favourably
placed for observation for the next decade or so.

Clear skies,
Richard Miles