[BAA Comets] Comet P2010V1 Ikeya-Murakami

Peter Carson petercarson100 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:24:27 GMT 2016

Hi All,
Last night I imaged P/2010V1 and this time fragment A and C were both clear of stars so I was able to measure them.
I get P/2010V1 A at around mag 18.6 which is 0.5 mag brighter than recent measures by others and fragment C at 18.2 which is consistent with other observers.
The debris field of fragment B appears more tenuous than my previous image of the 8th but unfortunately last nights image caught B very close to a star so its difficult to make a judgment.
See last nights image here http://www.astromania.co.uk/2010V1_20160210_2225_PCarson.jpg and previous images at http://www.astromania.co.uk/comets.htm
The original better resolution image does have tantalising hints of something in the area of fragments D&F but too vague to claim I’ve recorded them.

This comet is fascinating but with the 60 minute plus exposure required to record it from my light polluted location is rather time consuming.
Lets hope for a brighter disintegrating comet soon.

Peter Carson