[BAA Comets] Fw: Fw: [CometObs] C/2013 X1 outburst ?

mmatti at westnet.com.au mmatti at westnet.com.au
Tue Jan 5 10:21:24 GMT 2016

Hi Folks,

I understand the caution of calling it an outburst, but the morphology is
indicative of a gasseous eruption, with a brightening amplitude of 1
magnitude and a sharp increase in coma size.
This should follow up with obvious ion tail activity, not yet seen with this
comet. It has been predominately dusty.
Via various visual observers, timing of the outburst appears to have
occurred after Jan 3.07UT:mag 9.7
Jan 3.71UT mag 8.8
Jan 3.87UT mag 8.5
Jan 4.30UT  mag 8.4
Jan 4.47UT mag 8.2
Jan 5.32UT mag 8.0
Find attached photos by Justin Tilbrook showing morphology pre and post.
kind regards,
Michael Mattiazzo