[BAA Comets] Klim Ivanovich Churyumov 1937-2016

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Sun Oct 16 08:56:31 BST 2016

We have received the very sad news of the death, at 79, of the Ukrainian
cometary astronomer Klim Ivanovich Churyumov. Churyumov was, of course,
famous for his discovery of Rosetta's comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko,
but he was also the discoverer of C/1969 IX Churyumov-Solodovnikov.
Asteroid (2627) Churyumov was named in his honour.

Klim Ivanovich Churyumov encouraged a generation of talented Ukrainian
astronomers and he was a strong supporter of amateur astronomy.

My thanks to our prolific Ukrainian comet observer Alexander Baransky
for passing on this very sad news.

Nick James. Director.