[BAA Comets] Subsurface of Comets: Paper published today

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 16 16:41:06 BST 2016

The following paper appeared on Monthly Notices today (September 16):

"Modeling the evolution of a comet subsurface: Implications for
67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko"

Aurelie Guilbert-Lepoutre, Eric D. Rosenberg, Dina Prialnik, Sebastien Besse

See:
http://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/09/16/mnras.stw2371.abstract

This paper appears to be unscientific in that the authors appear to have
completely overlooked the work I have recently had published in Icarus on
this subject, in particular:

Furthermore, Dina Prialnik, one of the authors, is a strong proponent of the
amorphous-to-crystalline water ice transition and cites this mechanism as an
explanation of the growth of circular depressions in the Imhotep region of
Comet 67P. Many other researchers (including myself) have ruled out this old
idea as a significant source of heat in the subsurface. In one of my papers,
I specifically consider this otherwise perplexing discovery by Rosetta and
come up with an eminently possible scenario where very significant amounts
of heat are generated when methanol and ammonia vapour come into contact
with water ice (via the exothermic release of enthalpy of solution) and
point out that such a mechanism can readily explain sintering leading to the
observed formation of depressions in smooth regions of Comet 67P and their
subsequent growth.

Clearly the scientific community is having difficulty in accepting new ideas
surrounding this topic!

Richard Miles