[BAA Comets] C/2017 E4 (Lovejoy) fading

Johan Warell johan.warell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 08:11:55 BST 2017

Observed comet Lovejoy early this morning, now about 5 degrees south of
M31. It was fainter and more diffuse than I expected and somewhat of a
disappointment. I estimated mag 9.5, dia 3 and DC 4 with 40x100 binos on a
clear and dark (NELM 6.6) sky, just before moonrise. It was at a low (10
degrees) altitude which made the estimate somewhat uncertain.

There was nine-day lapse of observations on COBS, at that time it was about
mag 7.0. Is this comet fading faster than expected?

Best regards,

Johan

Lindby Obs (K60)
Skurup, Sweden