[BAA Comets] 174P outburst

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Sun Dec 17 11:51:25 GMT 2017

Observations by Denis Buczynski and myself (attached) with several
different instruments show that, while the coma diameter of 174P has
been increasing almost linearly the total magnitude has been pretty
constant. The X axis on these plots is days from 2017 December 7.0 which
is the probably outburst time according to Richard Miles. These
measuredments are from unfiltered CCD observations reduced using UCAC-4
R magnitudes.

Richard notes that, given that the coma is essentially all dust a
constant total magnitude would be expected provided that no further
fragmentation or albedo ageing takes place.

If you have unfiltered images of this comet between December 7 and
December 12 I would like to receive the calibrated FITS files so that I
can measure them in a consistent way to extract coma diameter and
magnitude. please send them by email to the address below or, if they
are too large for email, place them on Dropbox or something similar so
that I can download them.

Many thanks,

Nick