[BAA Comets] Comet 2p Encke dust trail?

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 27 21:43:24 GMT 2017

Hello all,I recently posted an image I had taken of 2P on 20170120 at this link:
Comet 2P Encke | British Astronomical Association

|   |    |

|   |
Comet 2P Encke | British Astronomical Association
   |   |

 This appeared to show a tail and a dust trail .
Iganocio Ferrin wrote to me asked the following question:Hello Denis:
I did like you image of 2P very much.  The trail is very visible.However I have a question.  The JPL ephemeris indicatesthat the comet was 8 degrees above the ecliptic plane.Thus Earth was not at the comet's orbital plane.  How thenit was possible to register a trail?

I have now imaged the comet again (it is low atltude in twilight here at 57N latitude) last night. The same features show again in my image at this link;Comet 2P Encke | British Astronomical Association

|   |
Comet 2P Encke | British Astronomical Association
   |   |

 So I ask the lists two questions. Has any other observer recorded these tail/dust trail features? Can someone answer Ignacio's question about the orbital plane?Best wishesDenis BuczynskiBritish Astronomical AssociationComet Section