[BAA Comets] Istimirant Stella

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Fri Jul 21 19:37:58 BST 2017

Between 1973 February and 1987 February the Comet Section produced 26
issues of a Newsletter called Istimirant Stella. These were edited by
Mike Henrie, Andy Stephens and Stan Milbourn. I have now taken posession
of most of the Comet Section archive from Jonathan Shanklin and have
been slowly working through the boxes. I've now scanned these and 16 of
the first 17 issues of this publication are now online here:

https://britastro.org/node/10769

I am currently missing No. 2. This may be lurking elsewhere in the
archive but if anyone has a copy I'd appricate notification. I hope to
post the remaining issues soon once they have been scanned.

It is an interesting read and shows how different things were 40 years
ago. Look our for John Bortle's guide to comet hunting and descriptions
of Comet West from 1975 along with many other interesting notes and
observations. There are quite a few famililar names in these issues,
some of whom are still active.