[BAA Comets] Two outbursts of Comet 29P/S-W1 in quick succession

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 28 23:02:35 BST 2017

Yes indeed, Denis.

Now, some answers to your questions:

1. Now that there is more continous monitoring, do you think that outbursts
are more numerous and happen more often than was previously thought?

=> Yes, we are seeing more faint ones only because of the intensive
monitoring, which really began in 2014 January. One early finding was the
existence of mini-outbursts, which involve brightness increases of <1.0 mag.
There looks to be a lower limit on outburst amplitudes in that because the
nucleus is large (~60km across) it has an appreciable gravity, which means
that material from the weakest outbursts tends to fall back onto the
nucleus. The lowest amplitude event appears to be 0.35 mag or so.

2. Could it be that this comet is in a more or less in a permanent state of
outburst or enhanced activity?

=> Generally speaking, yes, in that (since early 2014) the longest interval
the nucleus has been observed remaining dormant between outbursts is only
about 70 days, at which point the coma had dispersed to a large extent.
However, of late such an occurence has been relatively rare.

3. Comets, fascinating objects eh?

=> I do believe we are especially lucky to have 29P performing as it does.
It was likely a volatiles-rich TNO of significant size that migrated inwards
and became trapped between Jupiter and Saturn. It's rotation rate of ~57-58
days appears to be amongst the very slowest of all solar system bodies and
this accentuates its unique behaviour. BTW, the other 'special' phenomenon
we are lucky to be treated to is that of the family of Kreutz Sungrazers,
thanks to the chance, very close perihelion passage of some very large comet
many centuries ago.

Note to list members:  As one purpose of this group is to engage in
discussions on the subject of comets, if other folk on the list would like
to contribute in some way then please do feel free to do so. The most basic
questions are often the most challenging!

Cheers,
Richard