[BAA Comets] Astrometrica 4.10.0.431 and UCAC-4 R magnitudes

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Mar 7 07:38:01 GMT 2017

I've just moved from Astrometrica version 4.9.1.420 to 4.10.0.431 in
order to take advantage of its abilty to use the Gaia DR1 catalogue for
astrometry. I'm still using UCAC-4 for photometry and I use the R band
option since this is the closest match to my unfiltered CCD.

I was surprised to see that the new version produces R magnitudes that
are around 0.25 mag brighter than the old one for the same image and
configuration. Richard Miles has explained that this is a real change.
Astrometrica used to use the Sloan r' magnitude from UCAC-4 directly as
Cousins Rc but it now correctly applies a transformation which, on
everage, corresponds to Rc = r' - 0.24 mag.

Other catalogues containing r' mags (CMC-14, CMC-15) were handled
correctly so this change only applies to UCAC-4 R mags.

I recommend that you move to this new release however be prepared for a
zero point shift of around 0.25 mags if you are using UCAC-4 R as your
photometry reference.