[BAA Comets] C/2015V2 tail puzzle

Gianantony milani.giannantonio at tiscali.it
Mon May 29 15:27:42 BST 2017

Hi Peter and all,

there is some apparent confusion about the anti tail on this comet. It
is true that dust antitails are often quite narrow and opposite to a
larger main dust tail, but this is not the case.  The narrow tail is the
ion tail, and it is close to the prolonged radius vector. The antitail
is the larger dust tail.  Due to the particular line of sight the two
tails (ion and dust) are seen in different directions causing the
curious shape of the comet.
So here the antitail is the main dust tail.

Best regards

Giannantonio Milani