[BAA Comets] 174P Echeclus long exposure tonight

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 5 19:27:00 GMT 2018

Peter,

Good to see you are keeping a close watch on 174P: a comet that has much in
common with 29P/S-W1, which had an orbit rather similar to 174P a couple of
thousand years ago according to the work of Alessandro Odasso. You have
started amass a nice series of images as the dust and debris from the
outburst expands into the vacuum of space.

I see that 174P is just approaching its stationary point this weekend moving
at just 0.016 "/min so a good time to take deep images.
Unfortunately, its path takes it in p.a. 330 deg or so passing between the
two stars next to the comet as shown in your latest stacked image.

Today I managed to mount my new scope and the weather forecast is clear for
Sunday evening when 174P arrives at its stationary point. So will see if can
give it a go on Sunday. Like I say, the coma will be spoilt by the two
background stars and if the seeing is poor than the result might not be that
pretty!

Hopefully several folk will give it a go during the coming nights.

Cheers,
Richard Miles