[BAA Comets] 174P Echeclus long exposure tonight

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Sat Jan 6 09:15:25 GMT 2018

Peter,

Many thanks for this image and for sending me the FITS files. I've
measured the coma diameter and magnitude and these are plotted on the
attached. The surface brightness of the outer coma is now so low that we
are not detecting its full extent hence your latest points are some way
off the linear prediction and these points have not been used in the
line fit.

The figure shows a comparison between your image and an image taken
using iTelescope T24 before Christmas. Both of these are at the same
scale and have N up. There was a fainter patch south of the nucleus and
in your latest image this continues with the northern half of the coma
much brighter than the southern.

Please keep this object under observation using the deepest exposures
you can get although, as Richard has pointed out, the two stars
immediately to the NW will be a real pain over the next few nights.

Nick.