[BAA Comets] 29P observing campaign update

Richard Miles rmiles.btee at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 15 22:04:18 GMT 2018

Our campaign to monitor 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 1 during its 2017
apparition is drawing to a close as the comet heads for solar conjunction on
2018 February 21.

Now that Golden Hill Obs in Dorset is up and running, am just in time to
catch 29P before it sets in the early evening.

Tonight, have had short periods of clear sky between rain showers and I
managed to obtain 9 x 60s frames, of which 5 were usable and added together
gave this result:

COD J77
OBS R. Miles
MEA R. Miles
COM r' filter
COM 6.1" photometric aperture
TEL 0.35-m f/7.8 Schmidt-Cassegrain + CCD
ACK MPCReport file updated 2018.01.15 19:54:19
AC2 rmiles at baa.u-net.com
NET UCAC-4
0029P         C2018 01 15.75723 21 45 45.50 -10 51 24.6          16.52N
J77

So no sign of any significant outburst as yet.

Our first magnitude data were obtained on 2017 March 01, so this apparition
has lasted ten and a half months so far. Being in a planetary-type orbit
just beyond Jupiter, conjunction to conjunction for 29P takes just under 13
months.

Hopefully the weather will improve soon.
Richard Miles