[BAA Comets] 2017 S3

David Swan djswanastro at outlook.com
Mon Jul 16 00:33:10 BST 2018

2018/07/15 22:42: The coma of 2017 S3 has expanded and the overall brightness has also increased. Total integrated magnitude estimated at 8.66 by Comphot. https://britastro.org/node/14802

From: Comets-disc <comets-disc-bounces at lists.britastro.org> on behalf of David Swan <djswanastro at outlook.com>
Sent: 14 July 2018 16:23:23
To: BAA Comets discussion list
Subject: Re: [BAA Comets] 2017 S3

C/2017 S3 is now a fairly easy visual target. I would say it is more condensed. My CMOS image is here - just ten stacked 10s frames. https://britastro.org/node/14788. David

From: Comets-disc <comets-disc-bounces at lists.britastro.org> on behalf of David Swan <djswanastro at outlook.com>
Sent: 07 July 2018 06:18
To: BAA Comets discussion list

Hello all,

The estimates of brightness for this object - visual and CCD - between 3rd and 6th July are very interesting. Erik Bryssinck, whose 4th July CCD data you can see on his image via the BAA archive, is very similar to mine - across the range of aperture sizes. Basically we determined the comet to be just shy of mag 11, which is closer to trend. Let’s hope more data comes out.

David Swan