[BAA Comets] C/2017 S3 PanSTARRS

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Jul 24 07:27:50 BST 2018

There are signs from my images taken on the mornings of July 23 and 24
that the comet is becoming less condensed. I get a magnitude of 9.9 this
morning in a 6 arcmin aperture (UCAC-4 R). The attached profile shows a
cut through the coma photocentre along the tail. The two nights are
quite similar but there is an indication that the profile is getting
broader.

Please keep this comet under observation as long as possible despite the
Moon and its decreasing altitude at dawn. We don't know what will happen
next and only observations will tell us.

Nick.