[BAA Comets] C/2017 S3 PanSTARRS

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Fri Jul 27 07:05:18 BST 2018

Mike,

I guess that seems like a reasonable approach but visual observers might
want to comment. Many thanks for keeping this comet under observation.

I manage to image it again last night in very poor conditions. After a
clear day clouds and thunderstorms arrived just after C/2017 S3 cleared
my local horizon. This stack of 4x60s is all I could manage. The sky was
very bright due to the near full moon and low altitude and the
transparency was poor so there is no point trying to determine a
magnitude but the comet is clearly a very diffuse object now. The centre
of the debris cloud is quite some way behind the position predicted by
the current MPC orbital elements (shown by the blue box on the attached).

Nick.