[BAA Comets] Help please?

Peter Carson petercarson100 at gmail.com
Wed May 2 18:56:30 BST 2018

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the fascinating world of comet imaging.
Imaging comets is similar to deep sky object imaging except the target is moving! Because comets move you’ll find an exposure longer than a minute or two will smear out the comet. The actual longest exposure duration will of course depend on how bright the comet is and how fast the comet is moving. What makes comet observing fascinating is that all comets do different things including how fast they move across the sky.
Your telescope at f/6 is well suited to comet imaging so I’d start off by picking a moderately bright comet and take several consecutive exposures (say 10) of about 60 to 120 seconds duration in monochrome only. Then stack the images with the comet as the reference point. You’ll find the resulting image shows the comet fixed against a background of trailed stars.  This is the technique most comet imagers use.
Have a read of the BAA’s Comet section observing guide, section 5 deals with imaging. https://www.britastro.org/node/6817 When you mastered monochrome then LRGB colour imaging will be less difficult because you’ll have an appreciation of the likely problem areas.
Good luck
Peter Caron