[BAA Comets] Help please?

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Wed May 2 19:10:25 BST 2018

Hi Mike,I think that the best way to start in comet imaging is to use mono first to get used to the exposures needed to record comets (they are usually faint). RGB imaging needs much longer and more exposures to record images to the density required to show comets to good advantage. This is not to say it cannot be done, there are many succesful comet imagers who take RGB, but I suspect that most started off with mono images. Also bear in mind that comets move during exposures so they need to be tracked additionally during normal sidereal tracking by the telescope. This means that exposures made during normal sidereal tracking that are not spoilt by the comets motion can be very much less than that required for RGB imaging. Experience with mono imaging gives a vital insight into what is possible in comet imaging. The other point I would make is this, what do you want to get out of the comet imaging you do?If it is to produce good looking comet imges on your computer screen then there is a lot of image processing that needs to be done before you get your final result. If you have experience of Deep Sky imaging in LRGB then you may be able to transfer the skills in that area to comet imaging. We are lucky in the Comet Section to have Peter Carson who has lots of experience in DSS and comet imaging, I am sure he will be able to answer your technical questions.Send any comet images that you have taken up to date ( I am sure we have some of yours in the Comet Section Archive) to cometobs at britastro.comBest wishesDenis BuczynskiSecretary Comet Section BAA.