[BAA Comets] 46P now 6th magnitude

Peter Carson petercarson100 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:31:37 GMT 2018

Hi Everyone,
I couldn't find 46P using 7x50 binos from home, although I didn't really expect to down in the bright light polluted sky.
I managed an image using my 315mm reflector see http://www.astromania.co.uk/46P_20181129_2125_PCarson.jpg  The sky transparency kept changing as did the amount of cloud so I stacked the best run of 60 sec exposures. Shortly after I finished my exposure run and before I closed the observatory it started raining...nearly a bit of a disaster!
Comphot gives Total integrated magnitude: 7.89 (radius 203.0 arcsec) which is a lot different from other measures. I assume I'm not seeing a whole coma because of the low altitude and bright sky so won’t be reporting that anywhere.
If it clears tonight I'll try using my 100mm short focus refractor with its wider field of view to give a more condensed image.

All the best
Peter