[BAA Comets] 46P now 6th magnitude

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Fri Nov 30 23:10:23 GMT 2018

Peter,

Yes, the diameter of the coma is now heading for one degree so short
focus, wide-field instruments will be needed to estimate this one. I got
my first image from Chelmsford tonight (attached) and comphot gives a
magnitude of 6.0 and a coma diameter of 26 arcmin. That is for an object
low down from my very light polluted garden in Chelmsford. Observers
with dark skies where the comet is higher up are seeing magnitudes
approaching 5.

Absolutely no sign of it in 11x80 bins from here but that is no surprise
given my skies in that direction.

This should be a really nice comet to follow in wide-field instruments
over the next month.

Nick.