[BAA Comets] 46P/Wirtanen

denis buczynski buczynski8166 at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 16 14:11:24 BST 2018

 Perhaps some of the differences are due to the very diffuse nature of this comet. It will be difficult to obtain consistant magnitude estimates as the comet becomes larger and more diffuse in the northern skies.Both visual and comphot magnitude determinations will be affected by the ability to detect of the outer coma in the observations.Conditions such as sky transparency and light pollution will be a limiting factor in dectecting the very outer reaches of the coma.I exepct that imaging wide fields of view using fast short focal length lenses will be needed for the comphot observations. Very low power binoculars and even naked eye (if the comet beomes that bright) will probably be used by the visual observers. From what I have read the coma could become as large as 2 degrees in our skies. It will be another fascinating comet to follow.Denis