[BAA Comets] 46P/Wirtanen

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Oct 16 21:35:21 BST 2018

David,

Magnitudes reported to the MPC are usually a byproduct of people doing
astrometry and so they tend to use a small, but undefined, photometric
aperture. They are therefore mostly near to "nuclear" mags. Magnitudes
on COBS should represent total mags. For a large, extended comet like
46P the total mag (measured in an aperture of several arcmins) will be
quite a bit brighter than the nuclear mag (measured in an aperture of a
few tens of arcsec).

At present visual and CCD observers are getting a total mag of around 10
with a coma diameter of 10 arcmin or so whereas mags from MPC astrometry
are much more variable (due to the undefined aperture size) but between
2 - 4 mags fainter.

The lightcurve here:

http://wirtanen.astro.umd.edu/46P/46P_status.shtml

is the one you are referring to. The MPC mags are not really very useful
in this case.

Nick.