[BAA Comets] Visual update

Shanklin, Jonathan D. jdsh at bas.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 21:33:46 GMT 2018

I've now processed all the visual and VEM observations and updated the visual web page https://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/.  Nick James kindly extracted BAA observations from COBS, but it is still helpful for observers to send observations direct to me, ideally towards the end of the month.

The main conclusions are that 38P is probably near its peak brightness, and that 46P is on track to reach naked eye brightness around the time of its close approach.  It will be quite large, so naked eye may well be the best way to see it.  It is currently too far south for UK observers, but will soon be heading north, and should get sufficiently above the horizon in late November

Regards,

Jonathan Shanklin