[BAA Comets] C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Sun Aug 4 09:28:43 BST 2019

This comet was discovered in 2017 September and it has just emerged from
solar conjunction. It will be well placed from the norther latitudes
right through to its perihelion next May. There are some details here:

https://www.britastro.org/node/18553

and a chart here:

https://www.britastro.org/sites/default/files/2017t2.pdf

At present the comet is a morning object moving slowly through Taurus.
Current magnitude estimates on COBS range from 8.7 to 14.3 although the
brighter estimates appear to be outliers and would imply that the
comet's absolute magnitude is huge at its current distance (r=3.7au).
The estimates are here:

https://cobs.si/analysis2?plot_type=0&end_date=2019/08/04%2000:00&col=comet_id&fit_curve=1&obs_type=0&id=1703&start_date=2017/11/20%2000:00

Since the comet is so well placed for us over the next 8 months I
encourage members to observe it at every opportunity. In particular
total magnitude estimates, either visual or electronic, would be very
welcome over the next couple of months to help tie down the lightcurve.
This should be a good opportunity to use our Comphot software to make
estimates through the apparition and compare them with estimates made
using other methods. Help on using Comphot and download details are here:

https://www.britastro.org/node/11124

Contact me if you have any questions.