[BAA Comets] Profitability of northern sky surveys -- anymore?

rmiles at baa.u-net.com rmiles at baa.u-net.com
Tue Mar 5 00:21:15 GMT 2019

Amar,

Thanks for the questions.

As an example, about 5 years ago, I ran a comet search from my home in
the UK for about 18 months using an f/2.8 0.106-m refractor and
monochrome CCD camera that allowed me to detect comets down to mag 16
using 60-s exposures. Three sets were taken each about 40 minutes apart
- all in the evening sky after sunset. Although 3 known comets were
detected, as well as a distant artificial satellite, I did not discover
any new object of course!

I have since checked what would have happened if I had kept up searching
and the answer is that I still would not have discovered a comet! One
reason is that observations before sunrise are more likely to find new
comets by about a factor of 3 compared with the evening sky. Some
amateurs have found 'morning' comets in recent years. Another reason is
that since the UK is in the northern hemisphere, the surveys trawl this
region of the celestial and find approaching comets when they are very
faint, and so little if anything is left to be discovered. The same is
true of asteroids brighter than mag 19.

I did give the 2017 George Alcock Memorial Lecture on the subject of
comet discoveries from the UK and do intend to write this up at some
point. I have kept a spreadsheet of amateur discoveries made during the
past 20 years as part of that research. The UK weather does not help
when it comes to conducting surveys because of the small number of clear
nights especially if the area of searching is low in the sky after
sunset.

Concerning your question: "If you -- amateur sized surveys -- are to
hunt for undiscovered objects from where you are -- above +30* -- then
what are your likely targets going to be from the genres available?
Comets. Main Belt Asteroids. Near Earth Asteroids. Supernovae. Novae.
Variable Stars. Some other Transient Objects."

Surveys that look for moving objects differ from surveys that find new
'stationary' objects. The latter are more likely to be successful.
Computerisation of many of the tasks involved would also be required to
increase the chance of success. A different observing strategy is also
generally required for the different classes of object that you mention,
so that also makes life difficult.

One new suggestion for observational work is to detect serendipitous
occultations of stars by objects in the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt. This
would require two observers living within a few km of each other (or two
widely separated telescopes) to video monitor the same patch of sky
searching for disappearance events as say a 5-50 km size object happened
to occult a field star. Computer analysis of the field would detect the
drop out of light - it would be impossible to check this visually.

With all these surveys, the amateur has a great disadvantage by way of
the 'etendu' of their optical system compared to those used by
professionals. Basically fast focal ratios and larger apertures are
needed, which means great expense!

Hope this is all not too discouraging.

Richard Miles, BAA