[BAA Comets] Sudden changes on C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS)

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Mon Apr 6 22:26:29 BST 2020

As of this evening (April 6) my astrometry now shows a residual of 6
arcsec in RA (approx in the direction of the tail). I've plotted the
brightness profile of the comet in a slice through the nucleus and
parallel to the tail for three dates, 2020 March 31, April 5 and April
6. The peak brightness is falling and the inner coma is broader in the
tailward direction. All of this implies this comet may not last much
longer. I hope I'm wrong but observe it while you can!

Nick.