[BAA Comets] Press reports on C/2019 Y4

Nick James ndj at nickdjames.com
Tue Mar 31 12:12:05 BST 2020

David,

Well, so it begins...

The Times, as always, is really up with the latest news. It is clear
that the activity of this comet changed quite suddenly around mid-March
when it was at r=1.8au. Prior to that the magnitude fitted H0=1, n=13.
It is now more like H0=6, n=3.5 so a peak perihelion mag of zero to 2.

The attached plot shows all observations from COBS and some magnitude
law fits. I think we should still have a nice comet but it probably
won't be the "comet of a generation".

Nick.