[BAA-ebulletin 00742] Space Warps - citizen science project

BAA electronic bulletins service baa-ebulletin at britastro.org
Sat May 11 16:05:55 BST 2013

At the March Deep Sky Section Meeting, Dr. Phil Marshall of Oxford
University gave the 'professional' talk about Cosmic Lenses, and mentioned
in his lecture a new citizen science Zooniverse project Space Warps.

Space Warps is now active, and Dr. Marshall would welcome members'
participation - his message is below.

Callum Potter
Director
Deep Sky Section
2013 May 11

================================

Dear all,

As some of you heard at the section meeting in March, in Oxford we've been
building a new website for enabling deep sky survey astronomy by the
general public. "Space Warps" launched today, and we have several thousand
volunteers inspecting images from the CFHTLS, looking for gravitational
lenses :-)

You can join in at:

    http://spacewarps.org

It would be great to see you there! In particular, if you click on
"Discuss", you'll be taken through to http://talk.spacewarps.org - and its
here that the BAA members  can really help. As the project goes on, the
discussion will grow until it is the main activity on the site - we'll need
to sift through the candidates found on the main interface, and have
sensible scientific debates over some of the more difficult objects. Your
expertise could be invaluable.

Hope to see you soon - happy hunting! :-)

Phil

Dr. Phil Marshall

Department of Physics (Astrophysics)
University of Oxford,
Denys Wilkinson Building,                     Room 532E (BIPAC)
Keble Road,                                  Phone:  +44 1865 273345
Oxford, OX1 3RH             http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~pjm